West Ham are not interested in signing Tottenham midfielder Victor Wanyama on loan, according to Guardian journalist Jacob Steinberg.
The reporter claimed via his personal Twitter account on Thursday afternoon that if the Irons did sign Wanyama, 28, from their London rivals then they would have to remove a foreign player from their squad to create space for the Kenya international.
Told that West Ham have no interest in taking Victor Wanyama on loan from Spurs. If they do nab a midfielder it won’t be him. And they can’t add another foreign player to the squad without shifting one first #whufc
— Jacob Steinberg (@JacobSteinberg) August 8, 2019
ExWHUemployee told the West Ham Way podcast [38m 15s] on Phoenix FM last month that a loan agreement between West Ham and Spurs for Wanyama was a possibility in the final weeks of the transfer window.
However with just hours to go before deadline passes at 5pm, the former Southampton man does not appear likely to be heading to the London Stadium.
Wanyama would have been a very good late addition for West Ham if they could get a deal done for the Kenyan ace. Pedro Obiang has not been replaced since he was sold to Sassuolo last month and the Hammers might have benefitted from an extra body in the defensive midfield position. Carlos Sanchez is 33-years-old, in the final year of his contract and spent almost all of last season injured. While Wanyama has had injury issues of his own, he is someone with over 150 Premier League appearances to his name and has played a role in helping Tottenham transform into a regular top-four side. It might have been a risk based on his injury record over the last couple of years but almost all transfers come with a risk. Maybe it was how Jack Wilshere, Sanchez and Andriy Yarmolenko – all signed last summer – suffered serious injuries in their debut campaigns at the London Stadium that put the Hammers off from signing Wanyama earlier.