I have struggled to keep this clean, as most of the songs sung by West Ham United fans involve swearing! But I’ve picked 5 of the best songs/chants that I’ve personally heard when I’ve been at games.
1. I’m Forever Blowing Bubbles – an absolute given really. If you don’t know the words to this then you are not a true West Ham fan! I can’t think of anything better than when the teams are just coming out the tunnel at Upton Park, and ‘Bubbles’ comes on. Everyone in the ground is singing it, then they stop the song so the crowd continue. It sends shivers down my spine, and fills me full of pride and passion. I’m ready for the game, and if West Ham get an early goal, its sets the crowd up for the rest of the game.
2. One Man Couldn’t Carry….. – I had to include this one. Sung to the tune of ‘One Man went to mow, went to mow a meadow’ but of course, the words change to ‘One man could’t carry, couldn’t carry Lampard’. The fun part being remembering how many men couldn’t carry Big Fat Frank! Ten men, nine men, eight men, seven men, six men, five men, four men, three men, two men, one man, COULDN’T CARRY LAMPARD. The good thing about this chant is that it lasts for ages. The bad thing is if he’s playing, he normally scores against us!
3. Stick the Blue Flag up your a*se – another Chelsea based song I enjoy. I remember hearing this at my first West Ham v Chelsea match in I think 2003 when we won 1-0 with Paolo Di Canio scoring the winner at Upton Park. All game, Chelsea had been singing their ‘keep the Blue flag flying high’ song. After going 1-0 up, Upton Park broke out into a tune of ‘Up your a*se, up your a*se, stick the Blue flag up your a*se…. Stamford Bridge to Upton Park, stick the blue flag up your a*se’. Its a good song to sing, especially when you beat them, heard in our recent 3-1 demolition of Chelsea at Upton Park in November.
4. Twist and Shout – a funny song to choose, but a real crowd favourite. The song was taken from when the tannoy used to play it before the game to get everyone up for it. This chant relies on having one man with the voice of about 20, so he can sing the line, and let the crowd follow! You can be sure that everyone and him will follow the words and have a good old knees up. I always enjoy joining in this one, as I’m sure the rest of you do!
5. Ludo Miklosko – my idol when watching West Ham was big Ludek Miklosko. I was a good goalkeeper, and I used to love watching Ludo when he was at his peak for us. Which is why I love the song we sing about one of our legends. ‘Myyyyy naaaame is Ludo Miklosko, I come from near Moscow, I play for a team called West Ham (West Ham). And the people I meet, When I walk down the street, they say Oi, Big Boy, what’s your name’. It was sung more often when he played for us, and coached us. I was gutted when he finally left.
So there we go, my favourite 5 West Ham chants. I’m sure you will have others that you like, so please share them with us!
COME ON YOU IRONS!!
By Chelmo Hammer
Follow me on Twitter: @ChelmoHammer